CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

My Dad has Parkinson, now what?!


Life is challenging as it is without the twists and turns that it tends to bring. We have been living our lives to the fullest, or at least I thought I was. About one week ago I got some news that will change my life forever.
I knew that my Dad was going to the doctor but I thought nothing of it until I heard more. He wasn't just going for a check up, he was going to a neurologist to have some test run to find out if he had Parkinson's Disease. I stayed positive and told him everything was going to be fine. I don't know if I was in denial or if I was truly hopeful. I called from work later that day and received the news that in fact he does. I stayed strong while talking to him over the phone. Deep down I was falling apart. I thought to myself, from this day forward I am literally watching my father die! I started searching the web to find out as much as I could about Parkinson and what I could do, watch for, and help.
Not a lot is known about the disease, med's can help a person live a full life after they find the right combination. However, they only give you one at a time for a month to see if it helps before trying another. As I have read and searched for information I have found more then I think I wanted to.
All the symptoms: hand trembling, shuffled walking, mumbled speech; these are all things that my father has. True he is in the beginning stages of the disease, however; no one knows how long we have. Like I said before with the right med's he can live for years. But you have to find the right combo before it's too late.
I feel that I have a lot of time left with my father, but who knows. It hurts to hear him say that the hardest part so far is the fact that he has to put the family through it. However, for me the hardest thing is know that he has this and no one can stop it!

0 comments: